Wednesday 20 January 2010

I am your mind



A recent introduction to iTunes has been the 'Genius Mixes,' feature, which is like putting the library on random but with some level of continuity within the same genre. The other day I decided to try out the r&b mix iTunes generated for me. I had no idea I was the owner of a sizeable collection of r&b mp3s. I don't think of myself as an r&b type. I'm not cool and smooth. I'm passionate and agitated, which explains why there is a special place in my heart for epic metal.

Nevertheless, at the right time, my collection of slightly off the wall r&b tracks see me right. In particular, Roy Ayers' "I am your mind," is bizarre enough to make me feel like I'm doing something ironic and interesting when listening to it. The strange lyrics are enough to distract me from the horrible truth Roy Ayers reveals - that I have a secret love for the kind of plinky-plonky music you hear on The Sims in build and buy modes.

My favourite lines of completely vacuous faux-wisdom in this song include:

"By the way, I need more than sex to nourish my equilibrium. But I do need sex."
"Why do we cry? Because tears cleanse the windows of our minds."
"There's no need to be afraid of me, I want to be your friend. I'm just trying to give you music from deep, deep, deep within."

No comments:

Post a Comment